Friday, June 3, 2016

Own the Summer.


I believe that this tweet (embedded, above) is applicable to us, as educators, too. Yes, we use the summer to recharge and spend time doing some of the things that we neglect in-between the months of August and May. But we also use the summer as a time to get ready for the upcoming school year.

  • Prepare

I can't tell you how many times I've been asked what I do when I go to work during the summer. There aren't any kids at school! This makes for an opportune time for planning the upcoming school year. The building is quiet and the logistics for the upcoming year (which is being planned to be the best year ever) are outlined and prepared.

  • Meet

This spring I was offered and accepted a principal position at a new school, effective July 1st. I value relationships so I will make an effort to meet with school staff and other stakeholders of the school, either individually or in groups, before staff comes back to work and students come back to school. This will be a great opportunity to learn about the school, and to get to know people that I'll be working with as individuals.

  • Learn

I plan to read, a lot. I plan to read books that appeal to me both personally as well as professionally. Included in my stack that I plan to tackle are Launch, The Book Whisperer, Kids Deserve It!, The Leader Who Had No Title, Shoe Dog, Quiet Power, Blended, and Passionate Learners. I love reading.

I also plan to get back in the habit of blogging. I was on-point when it came to meeting my goal of two posts a month during the school year until April hit; then I fell off. This is my first post since then. My goal is to write at least three posts in June and then at least three posts in July.

Listening to podcasts is another avenue of learning that I plan to frequent during June and July. Five days a week I run. I have found this to be an opportune time to listen to podcasts. Some of my favorite podcasts that I am currently listening to are: The Better Leader Better Schools Podcast, The Cult of Pedagogy Podcast, Dads in Ed, Every Classroom Matters with Cool Cat Teacher, Hack Learning, Kids Deserve It!, My BAD, #PrincipalPLN, and TED Radio Hour. If anyone has any additional podcast to suggest, I am open ears.

So as we slide into our summer "break," let's be cognizant of the sports cliche of championships being won in the off-season. If we want to have a championship school year in 2016-2017 (and who doesn't?), we are going to have to put-in some work (albeit at a slower pace) during these next couple of months. What do you have planned?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate