Sunday, August 26, 2018

Teamwork, Competition, and Fun

On August 1st, I posed the following challenge to our teachers at Van Allen (via Flipgrid) - You've had some time away from school to relax, recharge, and enjoy yourself, your family, and your friends. What have you been doing? Share with us a highlight from your summer.

My response is linked (the password is BackToSchool).

My summer has been great. I'm beyond fortunate to have the opportunities that I have, and I don't ever take them for granted. Yet, of all the things that I experienced this summer, the highlight was traveling two hours west for my son's 7U State Baseball Tournament. Why?

I love sports. I've always loved sports. I'll always love sports.

One of the reasons that I love sports is for the role that I credit them playing in building my character. I love how sports teaches lessons that carry over into all walks of life and allow young people to grow, learn, and become successful adults.

But what is it about sports that brings out the best in people's character?

Teamwork - Dictionary.com defines teamwork as, "cooperative or coordinated effort on the part of a group of persons acting together as a team or in the interests of a common cause." In it's simplest form, teamwork is when we 'work together.'

Being able to be a part of something bigger than yourself is fulfilling. Being a part of something where everyone is committed to accomplishing the same thing is meaningful. Being a part of something where everyone needs you, just as much as you need everyone is motivating. Being a part of something where everyone has to work together in-order to accomplish your goals is fun.

This causes you to work a little bit harder when you know others are depending on you. And the bond that it creates within the members of the group is unbreakable. Your teammates become your best friends, they become your family.

Competition - When the competition starts, the only thing that matters is putting forth your very best effort. Your ability to focus is enhanced, exponentially. It's just you, your teammates, and the goal that you're working towards.. Goals are essential. There is no competition without goals. Goals are motivating. How often do we get to say that we experience this in our day-to-day lives. Life is complicated. Sports are simple. 

Having fun - Sports are games. You play them with your friends. There are bonds that develop (bonds that last) when you're competing, together.


Teamwork, competition, and having fun. When you've got these three things going-on, the results take care of themselves. Success becomes inevitable. With persistence, success will come.

Teamwork, competition, and having fun. We need more of those three things in schools. It's not complicated; it shouldn't be, it doesn't have to be. Work together, do your best, and remember to have fun. That's it. Those are the keys to success. That's what I want to prioritize this school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate