Wednesday, May 8, 2019

#MyChicagoMarathon No. 10

Recently, while running, I've been listening to the audio version of Alex Hutchinson's book, Endure. It's a fascinating book about, as the cover (and title) states, Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance. The quote from the book that I'm sharing (below) stands-out to me for a variety of reasons, none more than my curiosity (and interest) in sports psychology.
“If I could go back in time to alter the course of my own running career, after a decade of writing about the latest research in endurance training, the single biggest piece of advice I would give to my doubt-filled younger self would be to pursue motivational self-talk training—with diligence and no snickering.”  
I'm preparing to run my first ever marathon. Currently, I'm in the middle of an eight-week training plan to build-up my endurance from three to six miles in preparation for beginning a 20-week training plan leading up to the marathon. I've followed many training plans, previously; I'm confident that my legs and my lungs will be ready for the 26.2 miles. 

But what about my mind? What am I doing to train my mind? I don't have the means to hire a sports psychologist. Nonetheless, this isn't something that can be neglected. I can't leave it up to chance; I have to be intentional to ensure that my mind will be able to endure all 26.2 miles on race day. So what am I doing?

  • I think that the transparency of me blogging and sharing my marathon journey through these posts will no doubt hold me accountable. Because of this accountability, I will be willing to sacrifice more. 
  • I am aware of the benefits that come with smiling. Wearing a smile: elevates our mood, relieves stress, and helps us stay positive. What do you think I'm trying to remember to do while I run? Actually, while I do anything...
  • Personal development is a priority. I love learning about things that will make me a better person. As a result of being a better person, I am a better father, husband, principal, etc. So I read books, I listen to podcasts, I follow other people. I feed my mind with things that I believe will make me more positive, more optimistic, more resilient, more patient, etc.
  • More than anything, though, is knowing that I want my kids - Ryne and Olivia - to witness it all. I want them to see me committed to preparing for something that is months away from happening. I want them to see me struggle and keep going. I want them to see me exhausted and satisfied at the same exact time. I want them to see me accomplish something that I've never done before. Thinking about this is helpful when it would becomes tempting to rest and/or stop.

Now I want to know what you are doing? We talk a lot about mental strength, but what are we doing to develop mental strength? Please share your ideas!

This October, I am running the Chicago Marathon. Leading up to the race, I'm using this space (my blog, this is post number ten!) to document my journey. Until next time, I'll close with a shameless plug to my fundraising page (linked); I encourage you to visit, and (if you are able) donate. I hope that you'll follow me on this journey, and I hope you enjoy my story.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate