Friday, July 12, 2019

#MyChicagoMarathon No. 14

A couple of weeks (maybe a month) ago, I wrote the following after completing a run:

Just because I run (regularly), doesn’t mean it’s easy (for me)
The agony endured while running is just less than the agony that lives inside my head if/when I don’t (run and/or workout)
It’s psychological warfare within myself (within all of us, constantly)

This past week, while running, I was listening to my friend Danny Bauer's Better Leaders Better School podcast - Episode 204 How Elite Performers Show Up - when his guest, Chanie Wilschanski shared the following quote from Jim Rohn.
"We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weights tons."

I immediately fell in love with that quote. And listening to content like this (that has me so fired up and excited) does something inside of my head where I forget that I'm running (while my pace increases and my fatigue lessens). It's amazing; it's one of the best feelings in the world, actually.

I (think I/try to) choose the pain of discipline. Fortunately, that pain is mitigated knowing that I am avoiding the pain of regret. But that doesn't mean that it's easy. In regards to running, I still grind my way through most of my runs. And that's one of the things that I love about running; doing something that isn't easy, but doing it anyways. That's discipline, and I'm excited about a couple of the ideas that I have for future posts to write to relate back to this idea of discipline and how it relates to me, as a runner.


This October, I am running the Chicago Marathon. Leading up to the race, I'm using this space (my blog, this is post number fourteen!) to document my journey. Until next time, I'll close with a shameless plug to my fundraising page (linked); I encourage you to visit, and (if you are able/willing) donate (I'm only (roughly) $350 short of my goal; THANKS to ALL who have donated!).

I hope that you'll follow me on this journey, and I hope you enjoy my story.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate