Sunday, February 23, 2020

Leadership - Am I Enough? My #OneWord, 1 of 3

Am I enough? I can't tell you how many times I ask myself that question.

To some, yes. To others, no.

As a leader, I sometimes struggle with the Imposter Syndrome. The imposter syndrome as defined by Ryan Holiday in his book Stillness is the Key is "nagging, endless anxiety that you're not qualified for what you're doing - and you're about to be found out for it" (p.70). Sheesh!

It was around New Year's while I was reading Stillness is the Key; it was also around this time when people were sharing their One Word. My word, which I'm just now getting around to sharing (late-February), was inspired by what Holiday had to say about how we combat the imposter syndrome. Confidence. Confidence is my word in 2020.

  • "Confident people know what matters. They know when to ignore other people's opinions...

  • ...Confidence is the freedom to set your own standards and unshackle yourself from the need to prove yourself." (p.72)

  • "But confident people are open, reflective, and able to see themselves without blinders. All this makes for stillness, by removing unnecessary conflict and uncertainty and resentment." (p.72/73)

  • "Confidence is what determines whether this will be a source of anguish or an enjoyable challenge." (p.73)



*This is the first of a brief, three part series that I've written to share some of my thoughts on leadership and confidence, my #OneWord in 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate