Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Leadership - Doggone it, people like me. #MyOneWord, 3 of 3

Hello, Michael. I don't have to be a great basketball player...All I have to do is be the best Michael I can be. Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me. Do you remember that daily affirmation from Michael Jordan with the assistance of Saturday Night Live's fictional character, Stuart Smalley? 



We don't go into leadership for people to like us. We go into leadership to make a difference. We go into leadership to do work that aligns with our beliefs and our values. Not everyone will agree with the direction of our work. And that's okay.

"I'm not a leader, he thought angrily. Not until you start swimming against the tide." (p.380)
The Wizenard Series: Training Camp. Created by Kobe Bryant. Written by Wesley King

No one said that leadership would be easy. It's not. It's possible, however, with confidence.

Leadership requires confidence.That confidence is fostered when leaders know the things that they value. Our values are our North Star; we must be loyal to them and let our values guide our decisions and our work. This is especially true when our decisions and work become difficult; these are the times to fall back on our values, and do so with confidence.

So ask yourself, as a leader, what are your values? Are you able to identify them? Can you articulate them?

*This is the third of a brief, three part series that I've written to share some of my thoughts on leadership and confidence, my #OneWord in 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate