Saturday, June 20, 2020

Top 10, Part 2

Previously, I created and then shared a list of ten people who inspire me (linked). In the midst of everything that is happening in our world, right now, I've noticed something unsettling about my list as it was being composed. Within my ten spots, I have one black person. Within my ten spots, I have one female. It's a pretty homogeneous group; there isn't a lot of diversity in regards to the people who I'm following.

I know that I need to step outside of my bubble. I'm open to any/all suggestions for who I need to add to my list so that it is has a more diverse representation. In the meantime, I'm reading things, I'm watching things, and I'm listening to things that will allow me to learn and better understand people who don't necessarily look like me.

Here's a few more lists of some things that I've consumed and that I'd recommend. I hope that you'll consider exploring some of the titles that I'm about to share. It will be worth your time.

What have I read, recently:
  • All American Boys, by Brendan Kiely and Jason Reyonlds (Reading Now)
  • The Crossover, by Kwame Alexander
  • Dear Martin, by Nic Stone
  • Ghost, by Jason Reynolds
  • Ghost Boys, by Jewell Parker Rhodes (Reading Next)
  • Look Both Ways, by Jason Reynolds
  • The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas
  • Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You: A Remix of the National Book Award-winning Stamped from the Beginning, by Ibram X. Kendi and Jason Reynolds
  • The Stars Beneath Our Feet, by David Barclay Moore

What have I watched, recently:
  • 13th - This. Watch this.
  • Fruitvale Station - so I didn't watch this recently, but it left such an impact that it immediately came to mind  light of our current situation.
  • Just Mercy and Selma - these two movies are both FREE during the month of June on Amazon 
  • Watchmen - I watched this series on HBO, last fall/winter. It's the one thing on this list of things that I've watched that is not like the others. I'm including it on this list because the first episode is how/when I first learned of the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921.
  • When They See Us - so I didn't watch this recently, either. It's a four-episode series on Netflix that I watched, last summer. It's absolutely devastating (like most of these titles), but it's also absolutely outstanding.

What have I been listening to (podcasts), recently:
  • '1619,' a podcast series from the New York Times - I especially recommend the first episode.
  • Flying Coach with Steve Kerr and Pete Carroll
    "Gregg Popovich on America in 2020, the Leadership Void, and What Needs to Change"
  • Unlocking Us
    "Brené with Ibram X. Kendi on How to Be an Antiracist"
I'm not saying that these titles on this list are the best of the best, but they are what I've consumed (and I've really enjoyed them). What would you add? Please share with me. I'm looking to continue my learning so that I can better understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate