Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Big Game Bedtimes - #DadsAsPrincipals Super Bowl Edition

Full transparency. Sports are my first true love. As a father, it is important to me to pass on my love of sports to my children. My oldest is seven, and I think that it is safe to say that I am accomplishing this goal with him.

My son, Ryne, sleeping on the couch through Game 7
of the 2016 Wolrd Series between the Cubs and the Indians.
We have started a big game bedtime tradition (I think that this started when the Cubs were in the World Series in 2016) at our house. Summer, the weekend, a school night, it doesn’t matter; on the night of a big game, such as the Super Bowl, we void any standard bedtime. My kids can stay-up as late as they want IF they are willing to commit to watching the game (with me, of course).

Wide-eyed. You can bet that I woke him for that epic finish
and the Cubs first World Series Championship in 108 years.
My three-year-old daughter hasn’t been willing to commit, yet. But my seven-year-old, my son has. And it results in several great benefits: 1) he thinks that it is super cool that he doesn’t have a bedtime, 2) all of a sudden he’s paying more attention to the game, which results in increased interest in the game, 3) we are able to bond through the game and make lasting memories, plus 4) he typically falls asleep anyway, on the couch, mid-game (not usually much past his typical bedtime).

Sure enough, my son slept on the couch, next to me, as the final moments of Super Bowl LII played-out and the Philadelphia Eagles became Super Bowl Champions.

What’s your connection to the Super Bowl as a dad (or a parent) and/or as a principal (or educational leader)? We are challenging you to share your reflections, write a post, and share it using #DadsAsPrincipals. Help us grow together as dads and leaders!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate