Monday, April 2, 2018

Guest Post: #ShadowaStudent Reflections

The following post is guest written by Lisa Hildebrand. Lisa is not just an amazing PE Teacher, but an amazing educator and person. If you aren't already, do yourself a favor and follow her on Twitter @vanallen_PE!

Recently, I participated in the #shadowastudent challenge at Van Allen Elementary. I was fortunate enough to have a principal who was willing to step into my shoes for the day and teach physical education while I participated as a student in kindergarten. A goal of mine for #shadowastudent was to develop a better sense of empathy for our students and teachers. I always strive to become a better teacher and connect with students, and what better way than stepping into the shoes of one of our students. I also wanted to get a sense of the content students are learning and incorporate a few ideas into my teaching while using movement...


I have to admit, I was nervous for my first (at age 39) day of kindergarten! I didn’t know the students in this particular class very well; their class is assigned to another P.E. teacher. It was also beach day at school. Were the other students in the class going to wear beach clothes to school? If I was joining a class, I wanted to “blend” in and not be the 6’ tall “odd” one out.


I made it to school in time to line up in my kindergarten line outside before the bell rang. The supervising teacher was playing an engaging repeat game of sounding out words. The kids loved it! What a great way to have fun in a group while waiting in line. Although, I personally felt a bit awkward since I didn’t have a clue how to participate. However, after a few names and words, I figured out the game.


“I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge. That myth is more potent than history. That dreams are more powerful than facts. That hope always triumphs over experience. That laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death.”-Robert Fulghum, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten: Uncommon Thoughts On Common Things


Imagination. One of the specials classes our class attended was music. Wow! We did lots of activities in 27 minutes. Ms. Grow led the music class completely different than my own elementary experience. We were definitely using the 4 C’s in music and I walked out of music with a big smile and loved every minute of music class!  It was easily evident the songs, games, and movements in music required students to use their imagination.


Myth. There was a mysterious message on the whiteboard when we walked into the classroom in the morning. A rainbow had been drawn, as well as a note from possibly a leprechaun. The students were very intrigued by this and wanted to know more about leprechauns. How big are they? What do they look like? What do they do? When they were asking these questions, their questions were reframed by their teacher to encourage critical thinking by the students. The myth of these leprechauns was mysterious and intriguing.  On our way to lunch we were able to sneak and take a peek into another room and saw little green footprints! Leprechauns! Ms Knupp adjusted her afternoon teaching to make sure we had time to read books and talk about these mysterious little men in the afternoon. The class loved every minute of it!


Dreams. The way one words a question is essential.  After reading a book, we were asked to make a reflection from the book about something you had to work hard at and then you accomplished. Answers ranged from finger snapping, to riding a bike, to jumping rope. The students were enthusiastic, excited, and proud with their “dreams” and accomplishing them. No matter your age, it is important to have dreams and set goals for yourself, as well as recognize your accomplishments.


Hope. My hope is to be able to use what I learned from being a student into my teaching. There are many opportunities for cross curricular activities in Physical Education, including integrating math, reading, and writing. During math time, we reviewed and learned about before and after. Four is before five and six is after five. I can easily incorporate this math strategy into PE! I could have the students do the number that comes before six in jumping jacks. We also practiced simple math addition problems. If you do two plus eight sit-ups, how many sit-ups are you supposed to do? I will also continue to incorporate sight words lesson into PE. I have letters around the gym and small card letters. The opportunities are endless!


Laughter. Playing, climbing, going down slides, swinging, jumping rope, and having fun PLAYING. It’s recess time! Playing helps children develop essential life skills. Smiling, laughing, and having fun with others. Even though I knew the multiple benefits of recess and being active throughout the day, I was able to experience this first hand as a kindergartner being in the classroom.


Love. Community, family, being kind, being respectful, and listening to one another. The kindergarten students had many stories to share with our teacher, and she listened to each and everyone of them and gave the students attention and love. One of the highlights of their (students) day is interacting with their teacher. I could tell that love, family, trust, kindness, sharing, honesty, and acceptance are just a few of the characteristics Ms. Knupp has developed and strives for in her classroom.  


I want to thank Ms. Knupp and her willingness to allow me to be a kindergarten student in her class. I had an amazing experience and am confident this experience will make me a better teacher. Thank you, also, to Mr. Ewald for his willingness and help to make this happen!

Lisa - Thanks for your willingness to do something different. Thanks for your willingness to participate in the #shadowastudent challenge. Thanks for your reflections and your willingness to share them. We all benefit from sharing our experiences - both for ourselves, and those who we are connected with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate