Saturday, April 21, 2018

Running is My Run

Recently, @trevorabryan wrote a blog titled, Find Your Run.

Running is my run! Previously, I've written blog posts about how running benefits me as well as some of the connections that I make between running and education. I'm thankful to be involved in tribes such as #FitLeaders and #RunLAP. These groups of people are encouraging and inspiring; they push me in regards to my own personal fitness, as well as my educational thinking and doing.

That being said, for the past three + weeks, I have been out of commission. I hurt my back. I mean I hurt my back. For two weeks I was forced to hobble around, moving slower than normal, with a noticeable limp.

Getting up and down the hallways, in and out of classrooms, participating with students at recess...these are all things that I love about being a principal (#PrincipalsInAction), but all things that became extremely difficult (and painful) for me to do.

Furthermore, I wasn't able to run. I wasn't able to jump start my day. I  wasn't able to clear my head. I wasn't able to get lost in my own thoughts and reflections. I wasn't as energized and/or upbeat as I normally am. Instead, I was pretty down.

I consider myself to be a fairly connected educator, which has many benefits. However, when you have to sit back and watch your #PLN engage in a virtual conversation that you aren't able to take part in...that's an additional punch to the stomach.

I wanted to be fixed. I wanted to run. And I wanted this to happen now.

What does this have to do with education? This has everything to do with education!
Think about the student that can't read, or can't behave, or can't demonstrate whatever skill it is that we want, expect, demand them to do. They need the exact same things that I needed. They need the exact same things that I was wiling to do.

Patience
I went out multiple times thinking that I could push through the pain. I couldn't. On three separate occasions I left the house with the plan of a leisurely three-mile run. On three separate occasions I didn't get past 50 yards. It was too painful. I had to convince myself (this was not easy) that I needed more time to allow myself to fully heal in-order to avoid this same situation in the future.

Persistence
For these three weeks while I've been hurt, I've spent A LOT of time stretching and icing my back (with a steady diet of anti-inflammatory medications). A LOT of time. And even though the progress was minimal at first, I didn't stop.

Do Something Different
If you want different results? Then you have to be willing to do something different! Time a wasn't enough. There was minimal progress from stretching and icing. I was impatient; I wanted things to change. So to get a different result, I had to be willing to do something different. I did. For the first time ever, I decided to seek treatment from a chiropractor (for those who know me well, know that I've always been very anti-chiropractic care). Shout-out to Mike Humpal (my chiropractor) and the work that he did to aid my recovery.

This injury has knocked me out of being able to run my first half-marathon in 2018, the inaugural Run CRANDIC. That was a hard pill to swallow as it is going to be a great new race that benefits our local school systems. Silver linings:
  1. I'm gearing back up to run; in fact, I'll be running the a 5K portion of the CRANDIC with my son (it will be his first ever 5K; I'm pretty excited for that opportunity and the memories we'll have from that...#DadsAsPrincipals).
  2. While being unable to run, I went to a hot yoga class with my wife. This is a silver lining for several reasons: 1) it was great to increase my flexibility, core strength, and balance; 2) I enjoyed it, and hope to incorporate it into my fitness routine on a regular basis; and 3) my wife loves yoga. Solid #DadsAsPrincipals move to do things that your significant other enjoys doing.
P.S. I'm not back quite back to 100%, but I am back to running. It's progress. And it's amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate