Friday, October 4, 2019

#MyChicagoMarathon No. 21

This month, I'm running the Chicago Marathon for charity. Specifically, I'm running the Chicago Marathon for Action for Healthy Kids. I've been reflecting and writing about my process for deciding to run a marathon, training for a marathon, etc. Linked is the Wakelet where all of my blogs are curated.

THANKS for following my journey; I am thankful for everyone's support.

Prior to training for the Chicago Marathon. 13.1 miles was the furthest that I've ever ran. I'd train up to 12 miles and then run the 13.1 miles (maybe a dozen different times) as part of a race day event. In my mind (and my legs), 13 miles used to be a pretty big hurdle to go out and run.

But while preparing for my marathon, my training plan had me doing long runs of 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, and 20 miles! All of a sudden I was interpreting a 13 mile run a little bit differently than I had in the past. You see, everything is overwhelming until you do it. Then once you do it, all of a sudden, it becomes a little bit less overwhelming. And then you do it again and again and again, until it becomes routine.

Last weekend, during the tapering stage of my marathon preparation, my long run dropped back to 13 miles. Funny thing, though, it no longer seemed quite so long.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate